Sunday, August 28, 2011

Are NOUNS hindering you?

Hello Purposeful Friends!

As the summer draws to an end (although hard to fathom here in the Houston, TX area with record high triple digit temperatures daily) I can't help, but to think of all that I will be "more willing" to accomplish personally when the weather breaks and cools a bit. I have always loved summer and the worry free weather, but since moving to Houston a little over 2 years ago and facing extremely hot days and nights with unrealistic humidity I can't remember a time longing for the fall and winter months to move in.

I am sure that subconsciously I am glad to see the summer go because it has me in a position of wanting to wait or to just not do certain things at all. When I think about it, it is funny how I finally have reached a point in my life that I don't let "people" hinder me from moving forward, but those NOUNS can still cross my path. For example I had a personal appointment the other day in the early afternoon, and I canceled the appointment simply because it was so hot outside and I did not want to deal with the extreme-boiling heat. I called and changed the appointment to October-yes it was that extreme for me.

One of the characteristics that I love about myself and give thanks to God for often is the "go getter spirit" that I have. I am NOT a person who puts things off that I know I need to get done.  I also despise procrastination, as well as the fact that a word of its meaning gets to use so many of the precious English alphabet (lol).  When I am working with someone who is engaging in the "P:" word, I call them out without a second thought...it simply should have no place in our lives there is simply too much to be done.

So I immediately felt some type of way when I hung up the phone from canceling this appointment that I really should have taken, because of a circumstance that I could not control-the weather. This got me to thinking, how often does this scenario take place in our day to day lives?  How many goals and purposeful moments have we put on hold because of extenuating circumstances, those things we just cannot control? Often times we blame our lack or the inability to complete a task on the "NOUNS", yes the people, places, and things which most of the time are out of our control.

The fact that I let the weather stop me from going to an appointment that I needed to attend, is an example of how I let a thing control and dare I say procrastinate me from completing something that I knew I needed to do. I gave the weather power over my situation. What do you need to accomplish in your life or day to day routine that has been on your to goals agenda for weeks and should have actually been crossed off months ago?  I feel incomplete when I don't meet my goals or accomplish what I have set out to do. Giving power, or "wiggle" room to the NOUNS only hinders you from meeting your goals and moving on to the next great thing(s) in your life,

Remember you can NOT change people, relocation of place only brings temporary change to an ongoing issue, and things are just things and only have what power you give them.-Shayla

Make sure you recognize which NOUNS are hindering you and remove or push through them accordingly so that you can continue moving towards your goals, purpose and greatness!



-Shayla

"Trust God and Love Yourself"

PS Be sure to follow me on twitter and join me on FB!

@speakinghearts

www.facebook.com/shaylasmart

No comments:

Post a Comment